CoLLEgEs and Schddls and Nanotec HnoLogy

In Chapter 1, Dr. Mihail Roco, a senior adviser for nanotechnology at the NSF's National Nanotechnology, said that companies building products at the atomic level eventually would face a serious shortage of talent—far worse than what is already occurring.

Dr. Roco estimated about 2 million nanotech-trained workers will be needed to support growing industries and the startups they start within the next 10 to 15 years. He emphasized that the country needs to find ways to motivate students about sciences and to make them aware of the career opportunities in nanotechnology fields.

Based on the need to employ 2 million nanotechnology-savvy workers by 2015, the National Science Foundation (NSF) is pushing for children between the ages of 10 and 17 to become educated now about the field of nanotechnology. The science organization also stated that 20 percent of the 2015 workforce would be scientists. The remaining 80 percent will consist of highly skilled engineers, technicians, business leaders, mechanics, sales representatives, graphic designers, economists, and others. So, many workers will not need a Ph.D. to get into this field.

To learn more about career paths in nanotechnology, you may want to watch the following video that interviews a number of students and professionals about their nanotechnology careers: http://virtual.itg.uiuc. edu/training/index.shtml#careers

This chapter will highlight some middle schools and high schools, several universities and colleges, and a few nonprofit organizations on

^ Work Force Preparation. Are We Prepared to Get Into the Nanotechnology Workforce? Professor Wendy Crone. Go to: http:// mrsec.wisc.edu/Edetc/cineplex/MMSD/ prepared.html how they are helping the young people understand nanotechnology and to explore careers in this emerging field.

0 0

Post a comment